Saturday, August 10, 2013

Question: Do you know what your gifts are?

There was once a little boy named Ted who loved to draw. His drawings were anything but normal, animals with strange faces and ears that hung down to their feet. At school, Ted doodled and daydreamed, and his teachers were not supportive of his....interesting….artistic expressions. But his mother praised everything he made, even allowing him to draw all over the attic walls. And because of this support, Ted realized his unique imagination and creativity were gifts and he continued to develop them and share them, eventually writing and illustrating more than 40 children’s books.

Here are some of his best known characters:

 


That’s right. Little Ted is Theodor Seuss Giesel, better known as Dr. Seuss.

I wonder what would have happened to Dr. Seuss (or if “Dr. Seuss”, as we know him, would exist at all) if his mother had not supported this obscure talent of his from an early age. What if she told him his Lorax was ridiculous? Or he should stop making up words and grow up….write like an adult?

It makes me stop and think about how often I fail to affirm or encourage others in the gifts and talents they have because I don’t personally consider their gift to be anything worthy of note. Or, perhaps, it is because they make an arrogant display of their gifts and make me want to give them less attention. Or, because I myself am arrogant and, in my quest for personal attention, I fail to even notice what others have to offer.

One way we come to recognize our own gifts and talents is through the affirmation of those around us, When others realize I am good at something and they tell me, I gain more confidence in that area, especially if it’s not something I thought I was good at. This is why it is important for me to also be outspoken in encouraging others.

Another way I come to know my gifts, talents, or special aptitudes is through the challenges I face. (I can also come to know my weaknesses then too!) Trials reveal my true character.

Finally, some gifts or talents I discover as I simply explore what I enjoy – my hobbies – or, through prayer, as I do my best to be faithful to what God asks of me in the situations He places me in.

It is important to consider what my gifts and talents are, so that I can reflect on how I use, develop and share them. God expects me to be a faithful steward of the gifts He gives me, which includes putting them to good use for the building up of others!

If you are sitting there thinking “Do I have any gifts? What are they?!?!”  here is a list that might help get the wheels spinning. It is by no means comprehensive….

Natural gifts:
These are things that are more or less innate in me, that I discover. For example….

Am I a good listener? Do people often come to me for advice? Am I a joyful person, a patient person? Do I like to organize things? Am I skilled at foreseeing and solving problems? Does a particular subject in school come easy to me? Do I find a great sense of fulfillment in helping others? Do art, music, sports come easy to me? Am I intuitive, sensitive? Am I creative? Am I a “born leader”, like this guy?
www.costumecraze.com

Supernatural gifts:
Of these there are really two types, those given for my benefit and those given for others. The first type can be found in Isaiah 11:2-3, which lists the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: Piety, Understanding, Fear of the Lord, Fortitude, Wisdom, Counsel and Knowledge. These are given to sanctify us and perfect the virtues in us.

The other type of supernatural, or spiritual, gift is that which is given for the building up of others, of the Body of Christ. Many of these are enumerated in 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11, 27-31.
“To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit. To one is given through the Spirit the expression of wisdom; to another the expression of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit; to another mighty deeds; to another prophecy; to another varieties of tongues; to another interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit produces all of these, distributing them individually to each person as he wishes….Some people God has designated in the church to be, first, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then, mighty deeds; then gifts of healing, assistance, administration, and varieties of tongues….”

Of course, there are other gifts, some common and some uncommon, because God is not so limited! Perhaps, you have a gift of intercession, evangelization, love for the poor or marginalized, or an unrivaled missionary zeal.
Or maybe you can bilocate, like this guy!



Acquired skills:
These are the special talents or aptitudes I have developed throughout my life. They may coincide with my natural gifts. For example:
Have I been trained in a particular trade? What is my profession, and what unique skillset have I acquired as a result of my work?  Am I a good artist, athlete, musician, etc.? What knowledge do I have as a result of my educational background? Am I good mechanic, technician, plumber, computer programmer? Am I good friend, a good parent? Can I obliterate you in a thumb war, like this guy?

 

I am sure you can think of other questions and examples. Discovering your gifts is fun, especially if one of them is humor! ;) Take the time to consider what your gifts are, to develop and “grow” them, and to use them to bless others. If you don’t know what your gifts are, ask a friend to help you discover them. And if you know what someone else’s gifts are, point them out and encourage them!

“As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God’s varied grace.”
– 1 Peter 4:10
“Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts, but I shall show you a still more excellent way…..LOVE!”
- 1 Corinthians 12:31

No comments:

Post a Comment