Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Question: Are You Really Free?


What image comes to mind when you hear the word "freedom"?
 
Is it this one?
 
 Maybe this one?


       Or even something like this?

 
 
 
The world often defines freedom in the negative: freedom from oppression, freedom from injustice, freedom from pain or discomfort, freedom from annoyance or inconvenience. These freedoms are important. We rightly honor the valor of those men and women who give of themselves (even to the point of giving their lives) to protect us from all kinds of injustice.

Yet, there is another kind of freedom, a positive freedom. It is the freedom for good. Without freedom of will, any choice for good would be meaningless, because I would powerless to choose otherwise. But with the power to choose comes a personal responsibility for the choices I make.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states, “The more one does what is good, the freer one becomes. There is no true freedom except in the service of what is good and just. The choice to disobey and do evil is an abuse of freedom and leads to ‘the slavery of sin’” (paragraph 1744).

If the government establishes a law which outlaws something dangerous or immoral, does that law then make me less free? No, because it does not limit my ability to do what is good. Rather, it seeks to restrict my ability to do what is bad in order to direct me to what is good.

Along the same vein, there are natural laws which govern the world. When I seek to recognize these laws and work with them, I am free to grow and develop as a person. Take, for instance, the law of gravity. I know that on this planet, the force of gravity draws me downward. I could choose to disregard that “restrictive” law as I spread my superhero cape and jump off a building, but this is not freedom; it is stupidity. And I will not end up wiser; I will end up dead. It is better for me to humbly admit that there is a force greater than my cape.

Freedom from does not trump freedom for. If I seek to be liberated from something which will not at the same time increase my capacity to choose what is truly good, or if I seek to be liberated from something which at the same time separates me from what is truly good, then my seeking is in vain. My decision will not make me more free, but will at best give only an illusion of freedom while I slowly become more enslaved by my own desires.

The world often cries out for less restriction. Don’t tell me what movies I should watch, what words I should say, what kinds of articles I can publish, what kinds of people I should love, what I should or shouldn’t do with my body…..I just want to do whatever I want whenever I want with whomever I want. This is the cry of an immature child who does not understand that some restrictions are put in place as protection against harm. Sometimes what is bad for me is and/or should be restricted to direct me to what is good. I have free will, yes, but I can misuse it, just as can an unruly or ignorant child. But the more I learn what is good and true, and seek to freely choose it, the freer I become.

Consider this:
"Love consists of a commitment which limits one's freedom—it is a giving of the self, and to give oneself means just that: to limit one's freedom on behalf of another. Limitation of one's freedom might seem to be something negative and unpleasant, but love makes it a positive, joyful and creative thing . . . The will aspires to the good, and freedom belongs to the will, hence freedom exists for the sake of love, because it is by the way of love that human beings share most fully in the good. This is what gives freedom its real entitlement to one of the highest places in the moral order, in the hierarchy of man's wholesome longings and desires. But man longs for love more than for freedom—freedom is the means and love is the end. He longs however for true love, for only if it is based on truth is a genuine commitment of freedom possible. The will is free, but at the same time it 'is obliged to' seek the good which is congenial to it . . . " - Karol Wojtyla, Love and Responsibility
 
So what is your image of freedom?


Could I suggest this one.....

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment