Wednesday, April 17, 2013

4. You are Loved!


“God is love.” - 1 Jn. 4:16

What does that mean?

This week I did something I thought was kind of stupid. Of course, I didn’t think so at the time, but that’s how it always goes. And after doing something stupid, it always seems like the only, or at least the best, option available is to reject myself. Right? Okay, maybe I am the only one who does this?

Anyway, one morning I left Mass crying. Then I received a text message from a friend with a picture of a bouquet of flowers and the words, “Flowers for you today.” I needed that.

I knew I could not feel sorry for myself very long, because it is nearly impossible to do so when you work as a nanny for two children under the age of three who want nothing more than to giggle and sing and jump all over you. That day, I was sitting outside with them and they began to pull the petals off of their flower bush and put them in my shirt pockets one-by-one. I needed that.

Two days later, another friend asked me what I’ve been learning since we last spoke. I said, “I’ve been learning some personal things, but I don’t particularly want to share.” She understood. And about ten minutes later, she came over and gave me a hug and said, “Don’t forget that you are worth so much more than you could ever imagine.” I needed that.
That is the love of God. That is His “tender compassion.” Those are Divine kisses.

That is the response of a God who says, “…I will not reject anyone who comes to Me” (John 6:37).

I will not reject you.

Even if you have done something stupid….
Even if you have just made the worst mistake of your life….
Even if you reject yourself, or do not love yourself…..
Even if you are angry, if you struggle to forgive….
Even if you are ashamed of yourself….
Even if you are afraid…
Even if you have spent your whole life chasing the empty joys of the world….
Even if the whole world turns against you….

I will not reject you. Just come to Me.

“A man had two sons,
and the younger son said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of your estate that should come to me.’ So the father divided the property between them. After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country where he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation. When he had freely spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he found himself in dire need….He thought, ‘How many of my father’s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger. I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers.”’ So he got up and went back to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him[His father] ordered his servants, ‘Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast…”
– Luke 15: 11-23

So often, when I make a mistake, I think that what I deserve is punishment, criticism, rejection. So I give myself what I think I deserve. And I imagine God must do the same. But this is not the heart of God. The heart of God is love and mercy itself…a love and mercy which is reckless and unrelenting, and wants nothing more than to consume me within Itself.  God is so amazing that He desires and works to bring good out of all the things I do badly!  He is constantly pursuing me with his love, waiting for me with his mercy, to uplift me, to restore me, to embrace me and tell me I am worth more than I believe, more than I could ever imagine.


"In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.
" - 1 John 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment